Welcome to the OpenKinect project
OpenKinect is a open community of people interested in making use of the amazing Xbox Kinect hardware with our PCs and other devices. We are working on free, open source libraries that will enable the Kinect to be used with Windows, Linux, and Mac.
If you want to participate or just watch the progress of the the OpenKinect effort, subscribe to the http://groups.google.com/group/openkinect/. In the application form, please tell us something about yourself and you'll be approved automatically.
You can also chat with people developing on OpenKinect software on IRC:
- OpenKinect on freenode.net.
If you need an IRC client, check:
- Chatzilla (for firefox): https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16/
Channel logs (Daily rotation) can be found at http://falcon4ever.pcsx2.net/kinect/logs/
Wiki Page Index
- Project Roadmap - Roadmap
- Project policies - Policies
- How to contribute code - Contributing Code
- The many ways to contribute - Contributing
- Getting started (downloading and building OpenKinect) - Getting Started
- Gallery of things people are doing with OpenKinect - Gallery
- Device identifier output - lsusb output
- Overview of the hardware devices - USB Devices
- General information about the Kinect USB procotol Protocol Documentation
- Other information about the Kinect USB protocol USB Protocol Information
- Information about the imaging data returned by the Kinect Imaging Information
- Research material for software layer implementation Research Material
- http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2010/11/04/the-open-kinect-project-the-ok-prize-get-1000-bounty-for-kinect-for-xbox-360-open-source-drivers/ - Adafruit's competition. Comment thread contains list of some of the people working on this.
- http://hackaday.com/2010/11/04/kilobuck-open-kinect-project-prize/ - Hackaday's coverage of the bounty. Again, interesting comment thread.
- http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft-Kinect-Teardown/4066/ - Hardware teardown. Chip info is here. (via adafruit)
- http://www.primesense.com/?p=535 - Primesense reference implementation (via adafruit thread)
- http://www.sensorland.com/HowPage090.html - How sensors work and the bayer filter
- http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/ - Model for branching within Git
- http://www.numenta.com/htm-overview/education/HTM_CorticalLearningAlgorithms.pdf - Suggestions to implement pseudocode near the end
- http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/floss-license-slide.html Which licenses are compatible with which
- Linux contribution procedure http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/SubmittingPatches
- Git project contribution procedure http://git.kernel.org/?p=git/git.git;a=blob_plain;f=Documentation/SubmittingPatches;hb=HEAD