Welcome to the OpenKinect project
OpenKinect is an open community of people interested in making use of the amazing Xbox Kinect hardware with our PCs and other devices. We are working on free, open source libraries that will enable the Kinect to be used with Windows, Linux, and Mac.
Some general information about how Kinect works can be found in this document.
Source code is available here: https://github.com/OpenKinect/libfreenect
If you want to participate or just watch the progress of the the OpenKinect effort, subscribe to the [OpenKinect mailing list]. In the application form, please tell us something about yourself and you'll be approved automatically. You could also subscribe to a low-traffic [announcement-only mailing list].
You can follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/openkinect Please use the #tag #openkinect when tweeting your work
You can also chat with people developing on OpenKinect software on IRC: #OpenKinect on irc.freenode.net.
If you need an IRC client, check:
- Chatzilla (for firefox): https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16/
Channel logs (Daily rotation) can be found at http://falcon4ever.pcsx2.net/kinect/logs/
Wiki Page Index
- Project Roadmap
- Project Policies
- Contributing Code - How to contribute code
- Contributing - There many ways to contribute besides coding
- Code Integration - How to deal with how we use git
- Getting Started - Downloading and building OpenKinect
- People - Who is doing what
- Gallery Videos and links to things people are doing with OpenKinect
- Logo Proposals
- Project Ideas
- High Level - High-level API documentation
- Fakenect - Includes a kinect "record" utility to dump data, and a Mock library interface to allow demo use without a kinect
- lsusb output - Device identifier output
- USB Devices - Overview of the hardware devices
- Protocol Documentation - General information about the Kinect USB procotol
- USB Protocol Information - Other information about the Kinect USB protocol
- Init Analysis - Messing with various init sequences
- Imaging Information - Information about the imaging data returned by the Kinect
- Research Material - Research material for software layer implementation
- Hardware_info - Hardware information
- http://www.spoofscript.com/blog/?p=327 - Compiling OpenKinect on a stubborn OSX 10.6.5
- http://ladyada.net/learn/diykinect/ - How the Kinect was hacked very detailed overview of what was involved
- http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2010/11/04/the-open-kinect-project-the-ok-prize-get-1000-bounty-for-kinect-for-xbox-360-open-source-drivers/ - Adafruit's competition. Comment thread contains list of some of the people working on this.
- http://hackaday.com/2010/11/04/kilobuck-open-kinect-project-prize/ - Hackaday's coverage of the bounty. Again, interesting comment thread.
- http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft-Kinect-Teardown/4066/ - Hardware teardown. Chip info is here. (via adafruit)
- http://kinecthacks.net/kinect-pinout/ - Pinout info of the Kinect Sensor
- http://www.primesense.com/?p=535 - Primesense reference implementation (via adafruit thread)
- http://www.sensorland.com/HowPage090.html - How sensors work and the bayer filter
- http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/ - Model for branching within Git
- http://www.numenta.com/htm-overview/education/HTM_CorticalLearningAlgorithms.pdf - Suggestions to implement pseudocode near the end
- http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/floss-license-slide.html Which licenses are compatible with which
Kinect Themed sites
- http://www.reddit.com/r/openkinect/ OpenKinect news and discussion community
- http://www.kinectHacks.net - Kinect hacking blog and forum
- http://www.freenect.com/ - Kinect hacking news
- http://www.modmykinect.com - The innovation begins.
- Linux contribution procedure http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/SubmittingPatches
- Git project contribution procedure http://git.kernel.org/?p=git/git.git;a=blob_plain;f=Documentation/SubmittingPatches;hb=HEAD